Saturday, January 3, 2009

NFL Playoff Picks, Wild Card Round, Pt. 1

ATLANTA AT ARIZONA
Is there anyone in outside the state of Arizona who actually believes the Cardinals will win this one? Since Atlanta's not an NFC West team, I'm not sure how Arizona possibly could win, because those are the only teams the Cardinals beat. Arizona is 3-7 against teams outside of the NFC West. 3-7! Those three wins came against respectable competition -- Buffalo, Dallas and Miami -- but here's another problem -- all those wins came before October 13. I think the only two things to worry about for Atlanta are that Michael Turner averages a mediocre 3.9 yards per carry on the road, and Matt Ryan is a rookie QB, and despite how good he was in the regular season, I normally don't like rookie QBs in the postseason -- remember how awful Big Ben was that one year? However, Ryan's stats have been better the second half of the season, so maybe he hasn't hit the rookie wall: Yards per attempt in September and October -- 6.37 and 7.72; November and December -- 9.25 and 8.07. ... And remember, it's the Cardinals.
Prediction: Atlanta 31, Arizona 20.

INDIANAPOLIS AT SAN DIEGO
A few weeks ago, I was telling a lot of people that I liked the Colts to reach the Super Bowl, and probably play the Giants, creating the dreaded Archie Manning Bowl. But a funny thing happened since then -- the Colts became the chic Super Bowl sleeper pick, not that surprising considering that they've won nine in a row. About two or three weeks ago, I completely changed my mind on the Colts. I don't like that they haven't lost a game in so long. When it comes to the NFL playoffs, it's the teams that have won four or five in a row that scare me as opposed to the ones who have won nine in a row. Sounds crazy, I know, but there just comes a time when you run out of gas. The Chargers, on the other hand, fit the profile of a hot team I like -- four wins in a row. It might be harder to pick San Diego after hearing that Ladainian Tomlinson is battling an injury. As of now, he's going to try to play despite a torn tendon. But the dirty little secret is that less LT might be good for the Chargers. Darren Sproles, who is averging 5.4 yards per carry, is actually a better weapon for San Diego right now, in my opinion. Because of his size, he may not be effective over a long period of time, but in a one-game situation against a team who has a poor run defense (24th in the league), I like him a lot.
Prediction: San Diego 27 Indianapolis 23

I'll have my picks for tomorrow later.

No comments: