Friday, January 30, 2009

Steelers Defense

I've been wondering this for a few days now, but why is it that everyone is asking how the Steelers will stop the Cardinals' offense? The Steelers had the top defense in the NFL this year. The Cardinals did not. Shouldn't the Cardinals be more worried about how they will score on the Steelers' defense? I mean, it was pretty good during the season. It was also easily the best I've ever seen a Steelers' secondary play. The only huge meaningful pass play I can remember them giving up is the one to Reggie Wayne against the Colts, and that was plain luck -- Ike Taylor had great coverage, batted the ball in the air, and it went right to Wayne.

The Steelers have stopped great wide receivers before. I don't expect them to hold Fitzgerald to two catches or anything like that, but anyone who thinks Fitzgerald is going to get 200 yards receiving and more than two touchdowns is dreaming. As a Steelers fan, I'm much more worried about the Steelers' offense vs. the Cardinals' defense. I think that's what will determine the game. If the Steelers don't turn the ball over, they're 99 percent to win this game. But that's a big if.

No comments: